What should I choose as my optional?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SapiensIAS 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

mayankitt
    Participant

Okay, I’m pretty sure that many of us face the same problem when we decide on going for the civil services.

“What should I choose as my optional?”

• Many say to choose a subject that you are interested in.
    • Some say to choose a subject that you are proficient in and have been studying for a long time. Well, I belong to the computer science fraternity and surprisingly computer science isn’t mentioned as an optional subject.
    • Some say to play safe and choose the subjects which are there in one the GS papers you give. If the idea is to play safe, I would want to know which one is the safest subject to choose.

Please answer the question in a generalised fashion so that others too may benefit from your answers. Thank you!

SapiensIAS
    Participant

As far as anthropology syllabus in UPSC/PCS is considered the 1st paper deals with world anthropology i.e. socio cultural and biological evolution and variations across the world. While the 2nd paper is associated with Indian anthropology i.e. socio-cultural and biological evolution and variations of mankind to be studied in the Indian context.
    Thus, the syllabus is well intended to consistently pursue the tradition of anthropology i.e. holism.

FEATURES OF UPSC ANTHROPOLOGY OPTIONAL CLASS
    1 .Anthropology is an optional which could be opted by students with any educational background such as students with arts, commerce, science and professional background including doctors, engineers, MBA, MCA, Biotech etc. It does not need specialization.

2. Familiar and interesting contents: one has to study institutions like marriage, family, kinship, economic institution, political system, religion and magic which is part and parcel of human beings. Moreover, one has to study tribal people, human origin and diversity. Therefore, things are familiar and interesting due to which the subject is easy to learn and understand.

3. Shorter syllabus– complete coverage of the syllabus in an exam oriented manner can be done in a span of 3 months that also 5 days/week. So one can save time and invest more time in G.S and essay.

4. Subject matters mainly traditional and static in nature so one should not be after news paper, magazines or current affairs which are time consuming and troublesome affairs.

5. Straight forward questions in the exam -the biggest advantage: Answers can be prepared beforehand which can be memorized, revised and practiced several times before the exam. and thereby one can reproduce answers directly in the exam. It enhances speed of presentation, improves quality of answers and after all one could attempt all the questions within the constraints of time.

6. Spin off benefits– anthropology has many benefits in G.S (culture, polity and governance, science and technology, social issues and ethics) and in easy as well.

Thus, anthropology is highly scoring and an optional of certainty. It means if one is bestowed with reliable guidance and working hard intelligently, one is sure to score extraordinarily i.e. 300+. These advantages are not found with other optional such as Public administration, geography, sociology, history and philosophy. Consequently, one could expect to secure IAS/IPS with certainty.

UPSC Anthropology Optional

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.