How to start IAS Preparation??

This topic contains 12 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  RAJ IAS 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Parameshwari
    Participant

Hi all
    Anyone pls tell me how to start preparation for IAS Prelims – 2017

What to study? which subjects need more attention?

Pls anyone help me….

Persius
    Participant

Hii there “” first you just need to get familiar with whole process “” like prelims ” mains and interview “” then just go through syllabus both prelim and mains “”” now start your preparation with NCERT’S of all Humanities subjects “” like History ” Geography ” polity ” Economics ” science (6 – 10 ) ” and Environment “” from 6 – 12 for all subjects except science ” Ncert’s have written in a very lucid language which is very easy to understand “” it will give you a basic knowledge of everything and it will build a strong foundation “”” Hi Kaveri, I like you name dear 🙂

I am listing all the NCERTs to help you….

For Geography:

VI Land and People Part I (old)

VII Land and People Part II (old)

VIII Resource and Developement (New)

IX Contemporary India Part I (New)

X Contemporary India Part II (New)

XI Fundamental of Physical Geog. (New)

XI Indian Physical Environment (New)

XII India People and Economy (New)

Standard Book: GC Leong

Oxford ATLAS (New)

For Polity:

IX Democratic Politics Part I (New)

X Democratic Politics Part II (New)

XI Indian Constitution at work (New)

XII Politics in India Since Independence (New)

XII Contemporary World Politics (New)

Standard Book: M. Laxmikant

For Indian Economy:

IX Economics (New)

X Understanding Economic Development (New)

XI Indian Economic Development (New)

XII Introductory Microeconomics (New)

XII Introductory Macroeconomics (New)

Standard Book: Ramesh Singh

For History :

IX Story of Civilization Part I (Old)

X Story of Civilization Part II (Old)

XI Ancient India (Old)

XI Modern India (Old)

XII Medieval India (Old)

XII- Themes in History Part I (New)

Themes in History Part II (New)

Themes in History Part III (New)

Standard Book: A Brief History of Modern India By Spectrum

India’s Struggle for Independence

The wonder that was India ( For Culture)

For Science:

VI to X New NCERTs

If something missed from this list then let me know.

And watch roman saini lecture on youtube “” How to demolish CSE in one year and 10 Must book for civil service “”” Read the hindu newspaper daily “” Read editorial and it will give you basuc idea and knowledge of everything “”” and Do follow Insights on india Daily current affairs “””””

Rupali Sharma
    Participant

To start IAS exam preparation, you first need to equip yourself with the basic understanding like the qualification, important dates, subjects and right coaching centers. There are so many books different people suggest the IAS aspirants to study, but going through all of them is not possible.

To give your IAS Prelims preparation a right start, I would suggest you to join a good coaching center like Vajiram and Ravi. The teachers there tell you about the right books, provide you updated study material to help you get maximum benefit from important resources and also provide mock tests as per the latest pattern.

6 important things to know before initiating UPSC exam preparation

Dhruv Arora
    Participant

My personal suggestion for those who want to crack IAS Exam, they must join IAS Coaching, there are many reputed institutes for IAS like Vision IAS, Rau IAS, vajiram and ravi and Chanakya IAS Academy . Chanakya IAS Academy is one of the best institute for IAS coaching. They provide good study material and mock interview sessions which help students successfully get through Civil Services Examination.

NCERT texts books helps you a lot and it is written in a very simple and lucid manner.You can quickly grasp difficult topics and concepts with regular coaching in Chanakya IAS Academy under the guidance of Success Guru AK Mishra and seasoned experts.

Read More

Ranjan123
    Participant

The syllabus of IAS is very vast. It will be wise to start preparing for IAS entrance exams with proper planning and in a routine manner. Lets start with current affairs as this section can fetch you maximum marks in no time at all. Therefore, make sure to stay updated and improve your current affairs knowledge at the first place. If you want, you can buy the Current Affairs Magazine September 2016, which will help you to know about every important event that took place during this tenure. Moreover, the one liner questions/answers, important cover stories, and all the content are presented in a simple way for your better understanding.

Notesduniya
    Participant

I will keep it short and simple. “ If anything history has taught us, that is, nothing is impossible “ – a famous line from Godfather – 2. I just twisted the last part.

Now, coming to practicality, it is doable but tough. I am assuming, with only 33% passing mark, paper 2 is buried history now. You will cross that easily.

Tricky part is paper 1. With everlasting, non predictable pattern of question paper, which UPSC has been following past half a decade, it is difficult to predict a set pattern of questions. Keeping that in mind, following things to be covered ( this is not exhaustive list, but minimum to be covered, as you have only 2 months) :-

Traditional Geography – Indian Geography from Wizard, Vaziram Geography notes (GS) . Complete the mapping from Neetu singh map marking (Map Marking by Neetu Singhby Neetu Singh.)

Traditional Polity – Laxmikanth

Traditional Economics – Vajiram economy class-notes (http://notesduniya.com/product/item/vajiram-and-ravi-economics-class-notes)

Traditional History – Spectrum, selected topics from NCERT fro Medivial and Ancient.

Go through, chokalingam current affair notes for understanding the broad issues. I personally dont prefer either UPSC & IAS preparation online | UPSC & IAS study material or insightoninida for Prelims.

Join one test series. Get extra paper for practice from market. If you are outside Delhi, search the sftcopy from net for free or better you can get the hard-copy from http://www.notesduniya.com They have started a category, http://notesduniya.com/product/item/vision-ias-mains-test-series-2016 which was earlier available only in Delhi. Give at least 12 tests under strict exam condition. Analyze the previous years papers.

Go for the current affair summation like (Vision PT 365) in last 20 days – try covering Science tech., IR, Govt schemes via current affair. Go through them at-least twice ( keeping in mind, kind of questions asked in 2016).

And on D day, if you are lucky enough, you will conquer.

For all useful study material refer- http://notesduniya.com
    Best of luck !!

himanshu
    Participant

Hi,

I am all ready to give the answer .Let us do a face to face interaction to clear all your doubts and query related to subject .please visit us at rohini sec-8 Delhi contact no-9911753333 for free consulting any query related to civil service exam.

ran1234
    Participant

Before starting the preparation, it is vital to see why one should prepare for IAS by knowing ground reality. I have come across this informative video on job reality of IAS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjpvyRCryA&feature=youtu.be

Nilanshi Gupta
    Participant

You are spend to regular 2 hours on Current Affairs – Chanakya IAS Academyand 2 hours on Static part each day for ~365.

Political Science : Laxmikant Indan polity.

Economics: Economic Lectures available on youtube channel.

History: Modern India Spectrum or Tamilnadu State board book for 11th & 12th.

Geography: NCERT class VI to XII.

Sunday Case study Video on Chanakya IAS Academy Youtube Channel

omiedev
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

hey friends we have amazing solution for you to make you tension free for these current affairs topic …we will work for you ..avoid spending 3 hours per day to read and find news which is important for your exams ..we will work for you and make one combined highlighted important news PDF with underlined important notes … and this will happen daily only for you …so u just have to click and download your daily pdf .. we will arrange weekly question answer on current affairs on which you can participate and check your knowledge … daily you will get one video on current affair analysis … all these are free !! can u believe it ??? yes it is free .. just join our facebook group and be connected ..https://www.facebook.com/Rajkot-Academy-266519827080705/

IAS Rajiv shukla
    Participant

Hi

Read out these 7 tips to on How to start IAS Preparation. For all IAS Preparation Resources let us know.

IAS Preparation Tip #1 – Work Smart Not Just Hard
    Most of us are used to working hard. Our education system is such that unless we cram tens of books each year, whether or not we understand what’s inside the book is immaterial, we cannot progress to the higher level. So most of us are accustomed to working hard which in the context of IAS preparation refers to studying 10 hours or more, every day. So much for hard work.

Now comes the smart part. Smartness could mean different things to different readers. It could mean reading selectively but reading well, reading many books selectively, mixing books and notes, making micro notes, proper time management, taking mock tests and so on.

Smart work is all this and more. In fact smartness is the approach you adopt in a particular situation. To prepare for IAS smartly requires you to be flexible as opposed to rigid, to experiment as opposed to sticking with the familiar, to plan ahead as opposed to the short term only.

The next step when starting your IAS preparation is to get familiar with the Prelims syllabus. Doing this you will know exactly what you need to cover within this time frame to crack the prelims. The good part about the new CSAT syllabus is that optional subjects have been done away with. So you can just concentrate on General Studies. And if you’re like me then studying GS is like listening to music; there’s no hard work involved. Just pure fun. Preparing for IAS need not necessarily mean monotony. The more you enjoy preparing GS the easier the Prelims goal will become. That’s smart.

Once you know the syllabus get started with the actual preparation. Obviously everyone can’t prepare for 10 hours, particularly working people. But even working people can crack the IAS. The exact time is not important here. Some can achieve in 6 hours what others can in 10 hours. It depends on you. If you’re just starting out I’d suggest you start with 4-5 hours and scale up gradually.

Prelims Smart Preparation Strategy
    As you know that Paper 2 (CSAT) is now only qualifying in scope (as clarified by UPSC in 2015) and you require just 33% or 66 marks to qualify this paper. The marks obtained in this paper are not counted for preparing the merit of candidates who will qualify the Prelims and write the Mains exam.

So your workload is considerably reduced, especially if you’re from a non-Science and non-Engineering background. You can now mostly focus on preparing the Paper 1 topics.

And you just need to prepare Comprehension, Data Interpretation, Interpersonal Skills and Decision Making well in Paper 2 to obtain 66 marks. These four topics are considerably easier to prepare and attempt as compared to mental ability and logical reasoning topics.

Also remember that there is no negative penalty for questions on Decision Making. At least 5 questions on Decision Making will be asked in Paper 2 so you can and should attempt these questions without any fear.

Also if you analyze the previous 3-4 year papers, you will know that at least 5 Comprehension passages are asked in every Prelims and these are easiest to score off in Paper 2. So you can easily score 50 marks from just Comprehension passages! Rest of the marks can be obtained from Data Interpretation, Decision Making and Interpersonal Skills questions.

IAS Preparation Tip #2 – Try Single-tasking it’s more efficient than Multi-tasking
    Yes I know you need to prepare history, geography, current affairs, mental ability etc. Only thing is don’t prepare all at once. Chunk it down. Pick one subject, let’s say Polity and combine it with current affairs which you should cover for some time everyday. Current affairs preparation consists of reading the newspaper, a good current events magazine and a year book.

You can read a good newspaper like The Hindu, magazine like Civil Services Chronicle or Pratyogita Darpan and the Manorama Year Book. Schedule a particular time for newspaper reading, but in any case, don’t read the newspaper for more than an hour. It’s not required.

Next, you can continue with the year book or start off with Indian polity. Whichever topic you choose get the right books only. Don’t refer more books than are absolutely essential. You don’t want a PhD in General Studies, just need to clear it.

But before you start with the topic get the past 5 year’s solved question papers and combine it with the syllabus as the question papers and syllabus are your best guide for IAS preparation.

Once you have started with polity or any other topic see it through completion. Don’t try to multi-task. Mixing polity with history and geography will lead to loss of concentration and lower your output. Besides it will make your progress lower. On other other once you’ve covered a topic in full you will gain confidence as you’ve pocketed x number of marks beforehand.

IAS Preparation Tip #3 – Adopt the Just in Time Approach
    The JiT (Just in Time) Approach says we should seek information only when required at that moment. In this hyper-connected world there is an overdose of information and if you seek to acquire all information and knowledge before starting a task, you can never get started as you will lose yourself in the information maze.

Applied to IAS preparation what this implies is don’t try to cover all the books referred by your friends on a given topic, say GK. Since GK is so vast and constantly expanding you can never hope to “master” it. Rather, refer a good book like Manorama Year Book and a magazine along with the daily newspaper to build up your knowledge base.

If, while referring the past Prelims papers, you come across a new topic you can quickly refer the reference books at hand or head over to the library or internet and find out more. This way you retain the information for a much longer time rather than by trying to read everything at one go.

Smart IAS Preparation Tip #4 – Test Yourself Constantly
    Taking the above JiT approach further let’s apply this to evaluating yourself. Instead of waiting till the last few days to take mock tests you should evaluate yourself right after completing a particular section in a topic. For instance refer the previous year’s question papers before starting Quit India Movement in Modern Indian History and after completing it. I’ve already written about the benefits of this approach so I need not repeat it here.

Adopting this JiT approach you know exactly where you stand, which topics have been covered well and which require more consideration. But more importantly it removes the uncertainty and anxiety to a certain level, if not completely. Before entering the examination hall you know what kind of questions to expect and this will boost your confidence and calm your nerves so you perform better than expected.

But going through the previous years papers is just the first step, I recommend you enroll for a good test series to know the latest trend of questions and also to prepare yourself for the forthcoming Prelims in a better way by attempting mock tests that cover the entire Prelims syllabus.

Prepare for IAS Tip #5 – Make Micro Notes
    Notes help us to revise quickly before the Prelims; the last 15 days that can determine whether or not you will appear for the mains that year. These micro notes can be on current affairs, GK, as well as other GS and optional topics. In fact I’ve already shown how to make notes for IAS exam preparation. Learn from it and profit.

IAS Preparation Tip #6 – Shoot then Aim
    Most IAS aspirants prefer to wait till the end moment to take mock tests or prepare for 2-3 years before making their first attempt waiting for the perfect preparation level. Unfortunately your preparation can never be perfect no matter how hard you try. The latest syllabus is such that questions will always be unpredictable. Gone are the days when you could rely on certain number of questions from a particular topic.

So instead of preparing for 2-3 years during which time the pattern (not the syllabus) could change so many times prepare for a year and jump into the fray. You can improvise along the way.

This also holds true for taking practice tests. I suggested constantly evaluating yourself after going through every topic rather than waiting till the end hoping to finish the entire syllabus before going through the question papers.

Smart IAS Preparation Tip #7 – Read Only What’s Absolutely Essential
    Your friend tells you to refer THM GS manual because that’s the best one around, another refers Unique, while a third one suggests XYZ classes notes. And you unwittingly jump from book to book hoping to cover every source that’s considered important for that subject. Stop taking this information overload that you will never be able to process within the limited time at your disposal.

Refer the standard books and supplement the missing information from other book for notes. Instead of reading three books for polity stick to one for detailed explanation and one for the bare acts. Similarly, I suggest just NCERTs for Ancient and Medival Indian History. No need for epic titles.

Whether it’s books for prelims, or public administration, sociology, political science or geography books stick to the above strategy.

You’ll discover you can extract so much more by re-reading limited number of books than running after the next shiny book just launched.

Aashu23
    Participant

Yes. If you want to make a positive impact on the lives of thousands of poor, IAS is the best job. But you have to swim in the ocean which filled by so many sharks. You should know how to swim, be fearless and strong if you do a good work, help the poor man on the streets and in the huts, people will love you.And the ocean will be safe for you. so do hard labour and hit the bull’s eye by a becoming ias officer just by strong effort update yourself to this site for more info http://surerecruitment.in/category/upsc/

Prabha Bhat
    Participant

The first important step for starting IAS preparation is to know the Exam Pattern. You can start your preparation only if you familiarize yourself with the examination pattern. Go through the syllabus to have a proper understanding about the examination syllabus. Once you have a clear idea about the Civil Services Exam syllabus start focusing on General Studies paper.Don’t forget to go through previous year question papers. It’s one of the most important step. As going through previous year question papers will help you get an understanding about the type of questions asked in the exam.

While preparing, keep on practicing. Join iLearn’s online Prelims Test Series for practicing. This test series helps one to identify their strength and weakness during the preparation. Once you come to know your weak areas, concentrate more on them and improve. You can give this online Prelims test series a try and find the unique features of this app.

RAJ IAS
    Participant

TOP FIVE THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE STARTING IAS COACHING

If you are looking for IAS Coaching in Chandigarh and wondering what pre-requisites should be adhered to before embarking on this personality development journey, you’re at the right place. It is always advisable that you clear your mind with certain lessons before you look for coaching and hardcore preparation for the examination. Let’s start with the points that you may have to clear before you start your IAS Coaching in Chandigarh or for that matter, anywhere else.

1.What inspires you to be an IAS officer?

Is that a lure for the perks and power that an IAS officer holds or is that a determination to serve the people. Because the former is a materialistic notion and the latter serves the spiritual purpose. As we know that materialistic perks wither away after a while, but the spiritual satisfaction grows within you. So, define your purpose before you start the same.

2. What is the level of your commitment to this purpose?
    If you are pushing yourself into this journey due to the peer or family pressure, you should try to convince your parents that it is not meant for you. Civil service is not a casual job and one cannot think of it as a short-term commitment and that selection would serve as the end. This is a life-long commitment and could be a long-term journey before your selection too. So, your patience should not lose out at any point of time.

Read More on: https://www.rajiasacademy.com/top-five-things-know-starting-ias-coaching/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.